If you are having a Diwali party, these will be the perfect appetizers. They are fried alright. But hey it’s, the festive season after all. Comes together in such a jiffy and what’s more, they can be made ahead. Freeze them in Ziploc bags and fry (no need to thaw) as and when guests descend. Wonderful as they are, your guests would love you for giving them something other than chaklis, I guarantee. I have used spring roll wrappers to make sure the work is as minimum as possible.
While I talk about these, I have to talk about the Spicy Onion Relish from The Gourmet Jar. It’s absolutely delicious and my favourite product from this collaboration. If I ask you to finely slice onions, saute them with spices and balsamic vinegar till sweet and sticky, you would probably close this tab. I would. What with all the festive madness going on. But the Spicy Onion Relish is exactly that. Bags of flavour with no additives or preservatives. And I love that. When my 7 yr old tasted these, she invented an adjective “superest”. I am sure that’s proof enough, no?
Ingredients : (makes 12 samosas)
- 1 cup chopped Veggies of choice (I used carrots,peas, beans, capsicum, peas)
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbles Paneer
- 2 tbsp oil for Veggie Mixture
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 heaped tbsp of Spicy Onion Relish from The Gourmet Jar
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 5 Spring Roll Sheets
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add chilli powder, garam masala powder and saute.
- Add chopped veggies, salt. Cover and cook till veggies are tender.
- Add the spicy onion relish, ketchup. Saute on high heat till sticky and thickened.
- Turn off the flame and add the crumbled paneer and coriander leaves. Toss.
- Place a spring roll sheet on a board. Cut in half diagonally.
- Create a cone and stuff 2 tbsp of the veggie mixture. Seal using water or a flour paste. ( 1 tbsp flour with 2 to 3 tbsp water to create a thick paste.
- Seal and place on a tray.
- At this point you can freeze them for later.
- If not, heat enough oil for frying and fry till golden brown.
- Serve with Tomato ketchup or green chutney.
Turn on the heat this Diwali season !!