Creamy, yummy and perfectly scoop – able dal. This dhaba style dal has a lovely tadka and an unexpected topping that makes it irresistable.
Ingredients : Serves 2 – 4
- 2 tbsp Toor Dal
- 2 tbsp Masoor Dal
- 2 tbsp Moong Dal
- 2 tbsp Split Green Moong with skin
- 2 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped Ginger Garlic
- Coriander leaves
- 1 medium Onion, finely sliced
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Mix the dal’s in a bowl and rinse thoroughly till water runs clear. Add them to a pressure cooker, enough water, a pinch of turmeric and cook on medium flame for 5 whistles.
- In a pan heat oil, add the sliced onions, a pinch of salt and saute on medium flame till evenly golden. Drain on a kitchen towel.
- In the same pan, add cumin seeds. Once brown, add finely chopped onions. Saute till translucent.
- Add the dry spices – coriander, turmeric, garam masala. Saute on low flame till cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and ginger garlic. Add salt and cook till tomatoes are squashed completely and oil separates slightly.
- Add the cooked dal, sugar and mix through.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Add water to thin it to the required consistency.
- Finish with chopped coriander.
- In a pan, heat ghee. Turn off the flame and add chilli powder. Add to the dal and cover for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add the fried onions on top.
- Always add warm water to thin the gravy.
- If you have it, use Kashmiri Chilli Powder for the final tadka.
- Fried onions are totally optional, but I highly recommend it.
Comforting and delicious !!