Possibly the easiest yet most impressive dessert this. An added advantage being, it comes together in minutes. The ingredients are pantry staples too. If, like now, resources are scant, yet it is more imperative than ever to keep spirits high, whipping out a batch of this is the answer to ease tense nerves.
I have added cinnamon to the dusting sugar for added flavour and scent. Although that is purely optional.
Unlike it’s Spanish counterparts, this recipe does not contain egg. It depends on a leavening agent. Although i must warn in advance, to not over do the leavening and err on the side of being doughy than crispy. I guarantee, it will disapper as fast as you can dish out.
Recipe ( Yields 15 – 20 Churros )
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- Oil for frying
Dipping Sauce :
- 1/2 cup chopped Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Full Fat Cream
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Fine Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- In a bowl add chopped chocolate, cream and place it on a double boiler with barely simmering water underneath. As the chocolate melts stir slowly. When 3/4th of the chocolate has melted, take it off the heat and continue stirring till completely melted. Add butter and stir to emulsify. allow to sit while you get on with the churros.
- Heat oil for frying in a slightly wide pan. Heat till hot but not smoky.
- In another bowl, add all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir with a fork to aerate.
- Heat water slight and pour little by little till you get a very sticky dough. Transfer the dough to a piping bag with nozzle or drop tablespoon fulls into hot oil.
- If you go the piping bag route, hold the bag above oil and squeeze. When you are happy with the size of the churro, slowly lower the bag so the tip of the churro touches the oil, lower till almost 3/4th of the churro is in oil and snip the other end with a scissor.
- Fry till golden and allow to drain on a kitchen towel. (fry till churros are slightly doughy and not too crispy, it will continue to crisp up as it rests)
- In a wide plate toss sugar and cinnamon. throw in the drained churros and toss to coat.
- Serve warm with chocolate dipping sauce.