There is no equal to the love of paneer in Indian cuisine. There is hardly anyone who dislikes paneer. Restaurants menu to home cooking is flooded with variations of this paneer starter recipe. However the skewered paneer with vegetables, charred to perfection is a crowd pleaser.
With a few ingredients available in all indian kitchens this is soul satisfying food. If oven is not an option, grilling on a stove is perfect too. If you dont have skewers, marinade, grill on a tawa and serve on a plate with some pickled onions and chutney. The recipe is adaptable in every which way and yet unbelievably delicious. For another novel paneer starter recipe, check one here.
Recipe : ( serves 2 – 4 )
- 200g Paneer ( cottage cheese )
- 1 diced Capsicum
- 1 diced Onion
- 1/2 cup Yoghurt
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Flavourless or Mustard oil
Green Chutney :
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- For the chutney, grind all ingredients in a blender to a smooth puree. Pour into a bowl. Chill till needed.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients – yogurt, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chaat masala, oil and salt. Whisk well till homogeneous and smooth.
- Add paneer, capsicum and onion. Toss gently.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to grill, preheat oven to 180C and skewer the paneer and vegtables. Place on a tray lined with foil or parchment. Brush with some flavourless oil.
- Allow to bake for 10 mins. Now turn the oven to grill mode and grill for further 10 mins turning once in the middle, very carefully.
- If going the tawa way, Place the skewers on a hot tawa and cook till tender on the inside and slightly charred on the outside.
- Serve hot with some onion slices and chilled green chutney.