Indians are known to have passed this golden milk latte ( masala doodh ) down generations. I do not know of a single household that does not have a variation of this. From the simple turmeric, pepper and jaggery version to an array of spices version, every home has one.
If you have trouble sleeping, then this is the one for you. Although it can be made fresh every night, the thought of opening 10 boxes in the night is enough to drive anyone over the edge at the end of a long winding day. So it does help to make a batch and store. The powder itself can be stored in an air tight container, in the refrigerator for up to a month. For other healthy and fun beverages option, check here
Recipe ( Serves as needed )
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 1/4 cup Cashew
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon
- 5 Cardamoms
- 1/2 spoon Saffron
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 10 Peppercorns
For the Milk :
- 2 glasses Milk
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Place all the ingredients – almonds, cashew, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, turmeric and peppercorns, in a blender and make a fine powder.
- Do not over grind, since the oils will separate from the nuts.
- To make the milk, boil the milk till it bubbles. Simmer on medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of the spiced powder and stir till the milk is soothingly golden.
- Take the milk off the flame and add 2 tbsp honey and stir.
- Pour into mugs and let your worries fade away.