These pineapple cupcake are summer defined. The scent of zesty pineapple and floral vanilla will remind you of a beach, sunset, a cold drink in your hand and good company. It certainly does for me.
Instead of adding extract I have added organic pineapple juice in the recipe which makes it a subtle yet gorgeous flavour.
Recipe : Makes 10 to 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup ( 62g ) Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup ( 113g ) Castor or Superfine Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup ( 120g ) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup ( 80 ml ) Pineapple Juice
- Few Pineapple chunks for Garnish
- 1 Recipe Vanilla Buttercream ( Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped Vanilla Buttercream (Eggless)
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line muffin tray with paper liners of choice.
- In a bowl measure Flour, salt, baking powder and fork through.
- In another bowl whisk butter and sugar till light, fluffy and lighter in colour.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract and whisk till combined.
- Add the flour mixture and pineapple juice alternately till the batter is well combined and smooth.
- Fill muffin pans till 3/4 full and bake in the centre rack of the oven for 12 – 15 minutes. A tooth pick inserted in the centre should come out clean.
- Meanwhile place the pineapple chunks on a pan and grill till charred marks appear, remove onto kitchen towel and allow to cool completely.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Fit a piping bag with a star nozzle and fill with vanilla buttercream.
- Pipe swirls on the cupcake and garnish with grilled pineapple chunks and a sprig of mint.
- The cupcakes can be made up to 2 days ahead and frozen in an air tight container. Thaw before piping the buttercream.
- The buttercream can me made ahead and refrigerated for a week or frozen up to a month.