One of the easiest plated summer desserts that you can have. Easy to put together but so impressive. Serve with lemon curd, custard or even whipped cream for a gorgeous dessert that everyone will love.
Recipe ( makes 4 small meringue nests )
- 1 Egg White
- 3 tbsp ( 50gms ) Castor Sugar
- Lemon Curd
- Summer Fruits and Mint for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 100C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a clean bowl (ensure the bowl is grease free, wipe with a few drops of lemon juice if you want to be absolutely sure), add 1 egg white.
- With a hand blender, beat till foamy on a slow speed.
- Once foamy, add sugar 1 tbsp at a time and beat till thick, glossy and stiff.
- Transfer small blobs of the meringue with the help of two spoons. Slightly wet the back of the spoon and shape the sides and dig a well in the centre for the filling later on.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1.5 hours. Turn off the oven and let the meringue cool completely, about 4 hours.
- Peel the meringues and plate straight away or store in an air tight container till ready to use.
- If the meringues seem a little soggy put it back in the oven at 100 C for half an hour.
- To assemble place a generous spoonful of lemon curd in the cavity of the meringue and garnish with summer fruits of your choice.
- Alternatively whipped cream can be used in place of lemon curd.