Soft, moist and incredibly flavourful, this banana single layer cake is perfect indulgence. When you don’t want to go to the efforts of making a layer cake but want to enjoy a cake, then this one is for you.
RECIPE ( MAKES 6 SERVINGS )
- 3/4 cup ( 90gms ) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup ( 113gms ) Castor Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2.5 tbsp ( 40gms ) Unsalted Butter
- 2 Medium Bananas, Mashed
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup ( 60ml ) Yogurt
- 1/4 cup ( 56gms ) Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup ( 125gms ) Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Cinnamom Stick
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 6″ tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and fork through.
- Add softened butter and use a hand held mixer and beat till everything resembles bread crumbs.
- In a bowl add yogurt, mashed banana, egg, vanilla and beat well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and beat till light and fluffy.
- Pour in to the tin and bake for 20 – 25 minutes till browned on top and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 1/2 hour, invert on to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, add cream to a bowl. Add the cinnamon stick, heat in a microwave for 30 seconds. Allow to cool completely and remove the cinnamon stick.
- Add butter to a bowl and beat till pale and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar, vanilla. Beat till fluffy. Add the cream 1 tbsp at a time and continue to beat till fluffy.
- Put in to a piping bag with a plain tip nozzle and pipe on the cake as you wish.
- Finish with grated chocolate.